Wednesday, October 17, 2012

October 17, 2012

Sorry to have not posted for so long! My goal was to post once a week, but it always takes me awhile to get back into the swing of school.

I attended two amazing writing conference. Remember if you haven't attended a writing conference, really find a way to make it work.

I attended the SCBWI conference in Montana. The 320 Ranch hosted the event, and the setting couldn't have been better. Other than the fact that it was nearly eight hours from home.

Next, I attended the Authors Flathead Writing Conference. I am always amazed at the quality of the speakers we draw for a small area. I learned so much and can hardly wait to give it all a try.

If you've never heard of NaNoWriMO, it is National Novel Writing Month. I've always thought participating sounded both fun and daunting. This year I really wanted to give it a shot. As a teacher, I really thought it would be great for my students as well. Over seventy of my students will be taking the challenge in November through the Young Writers Program NaNoWriMo. It even meets Common Core requirements.

I am in the planning stages for November. I am an absolute panster, but I am trying a little outlining this time. I am attempting a reform. We shall see how I do with it. I am completing the Young Writers Workbook of completely non-lame lessons along with my class. I didn't want to ask them to do anything I hadn't tried first. The lessons have been fun and really helped me focus on my character.

Consider challenging a friend to write a new novel in November too! 


No comments:

Post a Comment